Black and light
16 Jan - 13 Feb 2010
Berlin – Paris, an exchange with Galerie Denise René
David Bill, Jakob Bill, Anne Blanchet, Geneviève Claisse, Emmanuel, Freddy Fraek, Gun Gordillo, Michalis Katzourakis, Françoise Malaprade, Mehdi Moutashar, Dario Perez-Flores, Jesus Rafael Soto, Haruhiko Sunagawa, Victor Vasarely
opening 15 January 2010, 6 – 9 pm
exhibition 16 January – 13 February 2010 (gallery closed 28 – 30 January)
Wednesday – Saturday 11 am – 6 pm and by appointment
On the occasion of this year’s Berlin-Paris exchange Sommer & Kohl are very happy to present Galerie Denise René as a guest.
Denise René opened her gallery on the day of the liberation of Paris in 1944 with an exhibition by Victor Vasarely. Her major breakthrough came 1955 with the legendary exhibition Le Mouvement, where she showed kinetic artists of different generations for the first time together (Alexander Calder, Marcel Duchamp, Jean Tinguely, Jesus Raphael Soto amongst others). In the 1970s Galerie Denise René had five exhibition venues in Paris, Düsseldorf and New York.
The exhibition Black and light shows works by artists of different generations from the programme of Galerie Denise René, all of whom deal with constructivist, concrete and kinetic art.
The idea to ask Galerie Denise René for the Berlin-Paris exchange came about because Knut Henrik Henriksen was invited by Andrea Kroksnes (Senior Curator, Nationalmuseum, Oslo, N) in 2008 to participate in the exhibition “DUO“ together with Hans Arp at Galleri Würth near Oslo. Galerie Denise René has been instrumental in building the collection Würth from the beginning and she kindly assisted with questions during the installation of the show. For example, prints by Arp were installed, for the first time, according to a sketch by Vasarely; an installation made possible due to the ceiling height at the Galleri Würth.
In Paris, Knut Henrik Henriksen will produce a site-specific work in the space of Galerie Denise René, rive gauche (196 Boulevard Saint-Germain), which enters a dialogue with historical positions of the gallery. This exhibition will be on view from 29 January until 13 February 2010.